Dramatic Lugnaquilla - 15k - 5 hours - ascent 800m
- Hike with Des to Dramatic Lugnaquilla -15k Ascent - 800m - 5h hours
- Starting in Baravore Carpark the approach to Lugnaquilla is via Fraughen Rock Glen. Initially ascending via forest track and then via a "bit of a waterfall" the route then offers an ascent through a narrow gully requiring a scramble and a head for heights (although this can be avoided if necessary).
- The top of this scramble leads us to the side of Cloghernagh and a final stroll to Lugnaquilla.
- The drama is not over just yet as the return leg takes us back via the cliffs of Benleagh.
- In general this is probably the wettest approach to getting to Lugnaquilla but is unsurpassed for its drama and views. Boots and Gaiters are the order for the day.